The Thracian sanctuary near Tatul Village, Momchilgrad Municipality, is one of the most imposing megalithic monuments discovered on the territory of Bulgaria. It lies just 200 m away from the village and approximately 15 km away from Momchilgrad.
The sanctuary is a massive rock structure and its top is a truncated pyramid. The complex comprises two sarcophagi, a rectangular bed for the main altar, and a three-metre-deep well. It dates back to the end of the 5th and the beginning of the 4th centuries BC. Evidence to that is provided by the clay vessels that were discovered in the region.
Related Tags: Rhodope Mountains, Thracian sanctuary, Momchilgrad Municipality, The Holy City of Perperikon, Perperikon, Bulgarian Tourist Union
Recommended Travel Companies from Bulgaria
Travel News from Bulgaria
- Bulgarians passport holder visits 156 countries without visa
- Returning champions welcomed home to a World Ski Awards part
- Reckless trio pictured dangling legs off Beachy Head
Recommended Hotels in Bulgaria
Photo Clips from Bulgaria
- The Holy City of Perperikon
- Medieval Orthodox Boyana Church
- Rila Monastery - Bulgaria
- Ancient City of Nessebar